Why is the XY Table To Point tool confusing the input and output coordinate systems?

Jump to solution
04-25-2020 03:24 PM
ScottDrzyzga
New Contributor III

I have three (3) CSV formatted files containing geographic coordinates (I attached one).  When I use XY Table to Point to create point features from any of them, I cannot get valid results if I set both the input SRS and the output SRS (via the Environment settings). In my case, the input SRS is WGS84; the desired output SRS is NAD83-2011 State Plane CA-II (0402). 

ParametersEnvironment settings
ParametersEnvironments

The XY Table to Point tool does create points, but it misinterprets the desired output SRS as the defined input SRS and, so, plots all the points near the false origin of the CA-II coordinate system (i.e., out in the Pacific Ocean). 

I now have to use a two-step process to accomplish what used to be a one-step process: 1) use XY Table to Point to create point features tied to the input SRS; then 2) use the Project tool to handle the coordinate conversion.    

I'm running ArcGIS Pro 2.5.0 on Windows 10 Pro.

GIS professional and map nerd | Outdoor enthusiast | Remote Pilot (USA and Canada)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you for this post Scott Drzyzga‌. This problem was brought to the development team a few weeks ago and has been fixed in ArcGIS Pro 2.6 (it will be in the early adopter snapshot of ArcGIS Pro 2.6, or the public beta available in a few months if you would want to participate). For the 2.5.x release you will need to perform the additional step you explained with the Project (management) tool.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

XY Table To Point—Data Management toolbox | Documentation 

Strangely... I read that help topic that the default output coordinate system is WGS84, BUT if the "Input" coordinate is not that, then you need to specify it first.  It doesn't say anything about projecting the data to your desired coordinate system.

The default coordinate system of the output feature class is the geographic coordinate system WGS 1984. If the fields in the source table contain projected coordinates, specify the appropriate projected coordinate system.

This,

Make XY Event Layer—Data Management toolbox | Documentation 

doesn't offer an alternative to the Project tool step.

0 Kudos
ScottDrzyzga
New Contributor III

Dan, this is a workflow I've been using for years that is now generating unexpected behavior.  I did specify both the input and the output SRS (see the figures in my post).  The error literally occurs when I specify both (as one should if the desired output is different from the input).  The reason I am posting is because this error did not occur in prior versions of ArcGIS Pro and is occurring now.  

GIS professional and map nerd | Outdoor enthusiast | Remote Pilot (USA and Canada)
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The help is incomplete then.  They appear to be relying on the supporting "Output coordinate system" as set in the Environments tab (my bad... forgot to check it too).

So it isn't a change in behaviour and it isn't these bugs

BUG-000128741: An error occurs when running the XY Table to Point t.. 

BUG-000129406: The resulting feature class is missing some of the a..   but a suggestion to make a table in a gdb makes other issues go away

You might want to "Tech Support" since 2 recent bugs may mean not one else has flaggee it

DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you for this post Scott Drzyzga‌. This problem was brought to the development team a few weeks ago and has been fixed in ArcGIS Pro 2.6 (it will be in the early adopter snapshot of ArcGIS Pro 2.6, or the public beta available in a few months if you would want to participate). For the 2.5.x release you will need to perform the additional step you explained with the Project (management) tool.

DISIG
by
New Contributor III

hello,

on pro 2.9 i have got some issues too with this tool. The parameter of the tool "coordinate system" goes suddendly wrong without any manual update on the stuff.

here is the chain i use.

have got the problem both on excel and csv

DISIG_0-1646228555670.png

when i use a second tool "project" the transformation goes wrong too without any manual update.

very disturbing...

0 Kudos