Why is ArcGIS Pro so slow?

02-08-2019 09:57 AM
ClintonJenkins1
New Contributor II

I like ArcGIS Pro. It is clearly a step forward in many ways. But why is it so slow for what are very simple things that should be nearly instantaneous. For example, if I want to adjust the symbology of something, ever single step causes the program to whir and think for about ten seconds, even when the layer is turned off! What exactly does it have to think about when the layer is not even rendering?

Almost every action in the program seems to generate some unknown processing demand. I can understand if the map is updating or a tool is running, but it seems to be for everything. This really drags down productivity and leaves me frustrated. If it wasn´t for this, I´d probably start switching to Pro completely. With all these lags though, it is impossible.

None of the data are on the network. Windows 10 machine, 32GB ram, fast video card not even close to maxed out. Most data are on SSD drives. 

106 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You would be willing to post the steps to help people out?

--- George T.
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, here is how I did it:

1. Open "Windows Defender Firewall" and choose "Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall"
  2. Hit the "Change Settings" button (requires Admin access) and then "Allow another app":
  3. Navigate to the "ArcGISPro.exe" file and click "Add"
  4. Make sure all the boxes are checked for "Domain", "Private" and "Public" (Can also do this from the "Network types..." button shown above)

And that is all!  This makes a pretty significant difference to the responsiveness of the application.

Paul_Christensen
Occasional Contributor

This worked for me!

I also cleared the display cache and will clear it regularly through Project/Options/Display

This gives massive improvements in speed and so far UI hang-ups are minimal.

0 Kudos
RobbyRuef
New Contributor II

I have noticed similar slowdowns since upgrading to 2.6. Also, my cpu has been pegging out at 100% usage once opening an ArcGIS Pro project. This constant cpu usage never goes away until I close the project. If I reopen it is straight back to 100% cpu usage.  It is making it impossible to get any work done. This was not an issue on 2.5.2. I have tried updating graphics drivers, choosing both directx or OpenGL and restarting my system. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas on how to fix it?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Robby - this is not normal behavior and is something that I have not seen.  I'm using a Dell 5285 tablet with 16 GB of RAM and it barely pegs CPU/RAM usage.  Might be worth a shot using ArcGIS Mon by clicking CTRL-ALT-M to see what's happening on your PC.  If this fails, I'd recommend a call to Esri Support Services to troubleshoot/resolve.

LouisHill1
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for posting the CTRL+ALT+M tip.  That's the first I've heard of it.  So far today I've had two 'hung' tasks - a 'save edits' (28.4 second delay), and a 'merge' (29.8 second delay).  Do you know if this ArcGIS Diagnostic Monitor discloses a reason or cause for hung tasks?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Louis - I do not know if the ArcGIS Mon tool discloses a reason per se for hung tasks but I'm sure the AGP Developers can better respond to this item.  The save edits and merge hung tasks should not take this long obviously.  To start troubleshooting, questions of local vs. networked sourced data is on item that comes to mind.  Network latency/bandwidth.  Current version of *.gdb.  Updated video card drivers.  Clean install of 2.6 or 2.5 vs. update.  Deleting/renaming the ESRI folder in c:/users/<user profile>/appdata/local and c:/users/<user profile>/appdata/roaming are all things I'd start to look at and test initially.  A call to Esri Support Services is also a great benefit too!  A good read is here.  Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
ChristopherBertrand
Occasional Contributor

Hi Robby,

I had a similar problem in Pro that stemmed from a corrupt Project file.  I solved it by creating a new Project and copying all my layers into it. My geodatabases, features, etc were fine just the Project file.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ingrd, were you able to find any resolution to this? I am also experiencing a noticeable slow down since the upgrade. Nearly every action there is significant lag and loading time which adds up very quickly in terms of productivity. I may try some of the suggested fixes, although was curious for additional feedback.

Jared

0 Kudos
PeteJordan
Occasional Contributor III

I've noticed a lot of improvement in the past few months, especially with editing now compared to what it was like in the first few months of 2020...