Select to view content in your preferred language

Why does Direction/Distance "shorten" distance units?

07-11-2017 04:35 PM
BenjaminMerritt
Deactivated User

I've been working in ArcGIS Pro 2.0.0, and I've run into quite a strange issue with the Direction/Distance tool treating distance units as being "shorter" than they should be. I've reduced it to the following test case:

I created a new map using a projected coordinate system (NAD 1983 StatePlane Idaho West FIPS 1103 Feet) and added a polyline data set that was in the same CRS. I then used the Measure tool on a line segment and got a length of 125.09 feet.

Measure tool result

But when I use the Create tool feature to draw a new line over that same segment, the Distance tool gives me a much larger length.

Distance tool measurement

If I manually enter the "correct" distance of 125.09 feet, the resulting line is far shorter than expected.

It doesn't matter whether I just press the "D" key, right-click and select "Direction/Distance", or use the Dynamic Constraints button under the viewport; Arc acts as if a "Distance tool" foot is a lot smaller than a "map foot."

Is there something I could be doing wrong that throws the measurements off, or is Arc misbehaving?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

125.09 / 0.3048 = 410.4    =>  meters / meter per foot = feet

it is a unit thing... confirm what is being used in all situations...

BenjaminMerritt
Deactivated User

That would make sense, but Arc is reporting feet for everything in this case, so it must be a unit conversion issue (or at least a unit labeling issue) somewhere in the Arc code. I can confirm from other data sources that Arc's measure tool is producing correct values and units, so it would seem that the issue is localized to the Distance/Direction tool.

0 Kudos