Why does ArcGIS Pro have to be so slow???

08-01-2017 11:31 AM
ericmeyers1
New Contributor III

Why is ArcGIS Pro so slow? To select assets, field calculate, display layers, change symbology... the easiest of tasks that are commonly utilized within ArcMap are a drag on the software.

When will ArcGIS Pro become faster than ArcMap? That will be the day it could replace it as the goto product for GIS professionals.

265 Replies
TylerSchwartz2
Occasional Contributor II

To me the frustration stems from the perception that ESRI expects its customers to QA/QC their products for them by submitting arduous and time consuming bug reports (and replications) to support.  That might be fine for public sector workers, but I work for a for profit company and time is money. 

We pay a lot of money for ESRI products and the level of bugs and issues that go out the door and then remain unaddressed (especially in pro) is unparalleled in my experiences with other software companies (like Adobe).  One example is that when opening a project, snapping remains on even when the snapping button (in Layout) is turned off.  You need to cycle the button twice before it actually turns off.  When the project is saved after snapping is turned off, it gets turned on again when you reopen the project (with the button showing its off).  Every time you open that same project you need to cycle the button a couple of times.  This very obvious bug has never been noticed by the dev team, despite being there for now 2 or 3 major patches? 

The snapping example may not seem like a big deal (and its not) but its indicative of what I can only assume is an extremely poor QA/QC process that I can only imagine is there to save money. 

There is also an issue with symbology updating causing Pro to crash when you change the data source of a layer, which has remained in Pro gosh, since 1.0.x, despite bug reports that I took valuable time to report.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Tyler:

Can you provide a link to the symbology update bug in Pro thread as I would like to try to reproduce on my system in 2.2.0?

0 Kudos
TylerSchwartz2

Take a raster, apply a color ramp symbology to it (in my case I use "classify" symbology).  Change the source to another, different raster (right click the layer, properties, change source) and see if that causes a crash.  Its as if the classes that are set with the old raster dont match the new raster and Pro crashes because of it.

The work around I have found is to remove the symbology (back to "stretch") on the raster and also hide the symbology pane first before changing the source and then reapplying the symbology after you have changed the source. 

The reason I am changing sources instead of adding new data and applying symbology that way is because I have many layers setup as templated symbology styles where its very quick and easy to simply change the source of the layer (and preserving the symbology) instead of restyling all the symbology every time. I also employ saved symbology layers (.lyrx) and apply symbology to layers that way as well.

I have had similar issues with polygon feature classes (like block groups) using the same process, but its less frequent and inconsistent.  I am not sure where to find the thread you mentioned.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Tyler, does this crash for you on 2.2?  I followed the steps you provided but Pro doesn't crash.

Could you send me example data and steps to reproduce so that we can take a look?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Kory Kramer‌ I was able to repro and crash. I'm CC'ing you on the dump. 

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Tom - you said you repro'd so I tried again with the second raster as a layer in the map and got the crash.  Will get this to the framework team right now to analyze.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
TylerSchwartz2

Kory,

I just tested as well and I am still crashing and its reproducible. Where can I find the crash dump report and how do I get it into your hands?

I outlined the process in my post above.  Raster in question is a raster derived from Kernel Density using various UTM projections (depending on what part of the country our study is in).  Perhaps I need to capture a video to better show you whats happening? Let me know on both of those points. 

Out of all the crashes I get, this one is the most common and most frustrating so I would love if we can get this resolved.

Pro v2.2.0

Thank you!

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks, Tyler. I really apologize that you're experiencing this crash.  I was able to reproduce it, so we have the crash dump file - not necessary to get anything else from you at this point. 

Of course we never want to see crashes, but when they do occur, please fill in the error report along with your email and a description of what happened.  This can help if we end up needing to reach out for more info.  

More here: Report software errors—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

"Error report files have the extension .dmp and are saved to the application data location on your local hard drive, typically C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports. The 10 most recent reports are saved."

Thank you.

TylerSchwartz2

Yep, filled out the error report probably at least 100 times for this exact crash and Ive watched multiple versions come and go with no acknowledgement or fix

VladimirStojanovic
New Contributor III

Tyler, you talk out of my heart. Every single word you say is true.

Now, they want me to be more constructive in my complaints. I understand that. But, the matter of fact is, even if I want it (which I do), I don't have got that time. Simply as that. In my work, I am heavily involved in software development and I can say, that is a lot of time and many mails to get things right and done. I cannot see how could I do that for ESRI.

And for what? Yes, to participate in their work free of charge, still paying a lot of money for a working software. Like in good sense of ESRI community. No problem, I can do that- one day when I get some time, when I am not in work and when I am in the mood (not resting exhausted of my own work).

Except for, when I see how much they care year after year about what all of us users write, I get progressivly out of that mood. And that could be a problem.

Cheers!