Why does ArcGIS Pro have to be so slow???

08-01-2017 11:31 AM
ericmeyers1
Occasional Contributor

Why is ArcGIS Pro so slow? To select assets, field calculate, display layers, change symbology... the easiest of tasks that are commonly utilized within ArcMap are a drag on the software.

When will ArcGIS Pro become faster than ArcMap? That will be the day it could replace it as the goto product for GIS professionals.

270 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'll share with you my toolbox. It's the same one that I've used in a couple of cases. Incredibly complex! 

On the 10.7.x thing, we have a loosely enforced "check it before you wreck" it policy in the datacenters, which I myself follow strictly (as I'm the one usually doing the testing and certification), which will soon be a non-negotiable rule, with perhaps as long as up to a year or more before a new enterprise version gets rolled out past testing. For example there was a M$ issue with 10.6.1 that caused us to put the brakes on testing, and now I'm certifying and finding a few more minor issues (that' I'm not quite sure of yet, and will sit on them 'till I can repro them). 

0 Kudos
JeffMeyer4
Occasional Contributor

Just to chime in - in my case I was having similar issues. I access all data over the network. I finally discovered that my layout must have had a corrupt element. This seemed to affect many aspects of the software even when not working with the layout. I simply exported the layout from catalog, deleted the layout from catalog, then reimported and now the software is working really well.  I hope this might help someone.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks for sharing, Jeff.  I don't suppose you'd have a project with a "bad" layout anymore?!?!  

0 Kudos
JeffMeyer4
Occasional Contributor

Sure you can grab a copy of the empty project here

Dropbox - Demo_Corrupt_Layout.aprx 

It doesn't really exhibit noticeable issues until you add a few dozen layers.  Doesn't seem to matter if it's local or network data.  It gets progressively worse with more layers.

The most common issue I would face with this project is UI hangs. For example I would get 30-45 seconds of UI greyout after doing something like "make this the only selectable layer".  Drawing speed has always been fine.

Once the layout is completely removed from the project the issues are gone.

I hope this helps a bit with your research.  I would appreciate a follow-up if possible.

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Kory Kramer‌ I haven't tried to repro (it looks like the issue might be happening when there are 100+ layers?), but:

Note the commas and spaces in the path and that the path is populating:

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks Jeff Meyer‌ and Thomas Colson‌.  I'll try to find some time to look into this more today and will report back.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Jeff - from what I've looked at, it isn't clear that this is dependent on the project you sent.  

I open a fresh project and when I have a number of layers in a map (like you said, maybe several dozen) I see severe hangs when making a layer the only selectable layer, or collapsing all of the layers to not show the symbol...

Looking at this with the development team.  Thank you for providing some tips on how to reproduce the hanging.

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Kory, while you're on it, could you please keep in mind, and possibly take this up with the same dev team members, the performance issue and suspision I raised concerning "Tasks" and toolvalidation in Pro:

https://community.esri.com/ideas/15362 

This may be related, and I have never heard a definitive answer of you whether this was actually being looked and worked on seriously by the dev team, while I think it should.

JeffMeyer4
Occasional Contributor

Thank Kory - let me know if you hear anything.  Our jurisdiction is watershed based with over 2000km2 of large scale data. Rendering speed is always lightning fast which is why I rolled it out for my users.  I didn't anticipate all the UI hangs, or whatever is happening.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Would you know if the corrupt layout was imported from ArcMap or created brand new in the Pro project(s)?

0 Kudos