Why does ArcGIS Pro create so much GUNK!?

08-14-2020 07:00 AM
BrianE
by
Occasional Contributor II

Attached are 2 screenshots (before and after) of a project folder. 

When I create a new project there are 5 files/folders associated with my project.

I open the project and run ONE geoprocessing tool (Excel to Table) and all of the sudden there are a bunch of extra files/folders in my main project folder (14 in total).

Are these extra files going to be generated each time I run a GP tool? A bit cumbersome.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Looks to me like the new files are collectively part of a shapefile. At what point did you create this shapefile? 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
BrianE
by

My workflow was pretty basic.

Excel to Table>Geocode Table> Feature Class added after geocoding.

I don't recall this happening in previous versions. I am on 2.6

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hmmm yeah my guess would be just that you didn't specify a different output location when running the tool so it put it in the main project folder. 

As for the versions, I only recently upgraded to 2.6 myself so I can't really comment on that. Sorry!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
BrianE
by

Wouldn't it default to the gdb of the project? I'll see of someone from Esri Pro team can chime on this.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Brian E

Nothing is automagic and from your description, you must have done something else since Excel to Table wouldn't produce a shapefile, which is what you have in your folder.

You might want to review the options that are available for setting up a project from the Project backstage, then select options.

In the example below, I save all my project in one location.  Each project has a unique folder and I create a new gdb for each project and a new toolbox.

There are other options there as well which should be explored.

Always confirm the first time where things are going to ensure that the expected "defaults" are being used

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
BrianE
by

I just tested the same exact workflow in 2.5 and I never needed to specify where the info was saved.The location always defaulted to the Project's GDB. 

In 2.6, the user needs to specify where the info is saved.  A minor annoyance.

0 Kudos