Why do my layers stop working?

01-27-2021 06:44 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You can see the image I have attached here. The issue I am having is that sometimes when I open a map I created the layers won't work! There will be a red exclamation mark by the layer and it won't turn on. This happens to the layers I drew myself and with layers I georeferenced. I don't know how to stop this from happening. Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

It sounds like you have a broken data link.  You can learn more about it here as well as how to resolve.  Good luck!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I thought the same thing. But I created these layers by drawing lines and polygons. I thought that wouldn't be an issue for a layer like that? For the georeferenced layers - I agree. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hmmm...are the lines and polygons graphic layers or a geodatabase feature class?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I originally created them in ArcGIS Online. 

0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Is your ArcGIS Pro session logged in to your ArcGIS Online as active portal? Just a guess...

0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Would your layers stored in  a location (network?) currently not accessible by your project and/or machine?

Here are some tips to help:

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/data-management/data-management/arcgis-pro-tips-5-tips-for...