Why can't I buffer polygons in ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
01-14-2019 12:23 PM
İbrahim_KaanÖzgencil
New Contributor II

I'm trying to buffer polygons I've created but I fail. I keep getting "WARNING 000117: Warning empty output generated" warning. I set distance, I set unit, I set side type to "exclude polygon itself", method: planar and no dissolve. Why am I failing? What's wrong with the buffer tool or my polygons? I've tried repair geometry but it didn't help. 

NOTE: I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.2.3

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

An empty selection set or an an extent environment set outside where your data is can cause this empty output issue. Please upload your data if possible for troubleshooting.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

first, try a simple buffer without constraints and see if that works.

Add a constraint in one at a time, until a constraint causes failure.

if you can narrow down that, then it may be that you are trying to produce a negative buffer (inside buffer) that will obliterate the geometry... remove those by querying for areas, width (or something) above a threshold and see if it works for those.

If you are trying to buffer inside a polygon with a size > 2x the width of the polygon, you are going to have issues.

A screen grab of what the problem layer is might help too.

İbrahim_KaanÖzgencil
New Contributor II

I've tried all that. Played with all the options. Didn't help. 

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

An empty selection set or an an extent environment set outside where your data is can cause this empty output issue. Please upload your data if possible for troubleshooting.

İbrahim_KaanÖzgencil
New Contributor II

I didn't touch the environments tab. It's all empty. 

0 Kudos
İbrahim_KaanÖzgencil
New Contributor II

Dear Drew,

I've just played with the environment extent and it solved the issue. I set it big (way bigger actually) enough so that it comprises the layer to be buffered. Thanks for the suggestion. 

0 Kudos