When ArcGIS Pro will use .NET 8.0?

Jump to solution
01-17-2024 05:53 AM
Labels (1)
Cristian_Galindo
Occasional Contributor III

Hello fellows, 

I have been reading about the support for .NET 6, and it will end on November 12th, 2024 as it states by Microsoft here.

ArcGIS Pro runs under this framework, and my question is: what is the plan to migrate and release a version of ArcGIS Pro that runs under the next LTS framework (in this case the .NET 8)?

For how long are we going to run an ArcGIS Pro that uses a not supported framework?

If any of you guys have any news about it, please let me know.

Kind Regards

Cristian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjones_esriau
Esri Contributor
2 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think this question raises even larger questions about Esri's plan for .NET LTS releases when MS only supports LTS editions for 36 months.  The issue of transitioning from .NET 6 to .NET 8 will be faced in another 36 months when they have to move from .NET 8 to .NET 10.  Esri has been averaging around 8-10 months between releases of ArcGIS Pro, so they likely won't be able to squeeze two more releases in before November, 2024.

The stickier issue with MS's support timelines for .NET is that Esri's support lifecycle for ArcGIS Pro aren't lining up with MS's support lifecycle.  For example, ArcGIS Pro 3.2 was released on 11/07/2023 and is in "General Availability" support through 05/31/2025; however, .NET 6 support ends on 11/12/2024.  From an enterprise security perspective, that creates an issue because .NET 6 will need to be removed from machines around that date, which means ArcGIS Pro 3.2 won't work anymore.

0 Kudos
sjones_esriau
Esri Contributor