Viewing shapefiles in ArcGIS Pro without creating a map

03-28-2017 02:34 PM
ColinStewart1
New Contributor II

I do a lot of Python scripting with GIS and my primary use for the ArcGIS application is to view shapefiles that I've generated with my scripts. With ArcMap, doing this is very straightforward -- I can just open the application and add shapefiles immediately to the blank default map. With ArcGIS Pro, however, it seems like you have to create a new map each time you open the application before you can interact with shapefiles, and it takes a while for the new map to be created. Is it possible to bypass this step of creating a map in ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't think you are going to get around the requirement to have at least one map to insert your shape files into after launching the application.

What you could do is create a project that has a blank map where you have removed even the basemap.  Then, create a shortcut somewhere that launches ArcGIS Pro directly to that project.

ColinStewart1
New Contributor II

Thanks, looks like this is the only workaround for now.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is not only opening projects without having to create a folder or to asking to save a project... it is on the under consideration list

ColinStewart1
New Contributor II

Thanks, glad I'm not the only person who's bothered by this!

0 Kudos