Select to view content in your preferred language

Vary symbology by attribute using text field

06-20-2023 04:36 AM
Labels (1)
GeorginaBloomfield
New Contributor

Hi there,

I am trying to create Feature layers in Arc GIS Pro comparing two fields. In my case I want to show the Electricity use of a home as the Primary symbology using graduated symbols. I then want to vary this symbology by attribute, for instance whether the home is Owned or Rented. Since I can't seem to vary the symbology by attribute if it is a text field (which would be preferable) I have converted my text fields into numbers, ie assigning '0' to Rented and '1' to Owned. 

This works fine in terms of showing the data on the map, but the legend is then confusing as it shows the numeric values rather than the text. I have tried editing the legend in the Contents pane, but sometimes the text will just revert to the numeric value.

Also, where I have a range of values to represent, eg I want to show electricity use by age of boiler (Under 1 year, 1-5 years, 5-10 years, Over 10 years) then the middle values are grouped together in the legend and there doesn't seem to be a way to edit them.

Any advice as to how to resolve this would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Georgina

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LindaWilliams1
Occasional Contributor

Have you tried editing the labels and/or descriptions In the symbology pane? I use these fields to help make my legend entries more clear (including adding rgb tags to change the label colors).

0 Kudos
GeorginaBloomfield
New Contributor

Thank you for your response Linda. I found another way to do this, creating new Feature Layers and using Definition Queries for each value. This worked well and I could then alter the Legend for each layer.

0 Kudos