Unable to register as versioned.

Jump to solution
03-20-2018 05:52 PM
MattTenold2
New Contributor II

I am having an issue registering any dataset in my SDE database.  I was able to register as versioned two days ago and now both the register as versioned and unregister as versioned option is greyed out.  The only thing I can think of is I turned on Archiving on the datasets. However its weird that one day I could register and now I can't I am thinking its permissions but I have used that database connection info since I set the SDE up.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

If you enable Archiving on data which is NonVersioned, this is an expected behavior. 

Enabling archiving—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Tips on enabling archiving:

• If a versioned dataset is registered with moving edits to base, archiving cannot be enabled. It must be unregistered and registered as versioned without the option to move edits to base.
  • You cannot enable versioning on a dataset that already has archiving enabled on it. You must disable archiving, register the dataset as versioned, then re-enable archiving.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

If you enable Archiving on data which is NonVersioned, this is an expected behavior. 

Enabling archiving—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Tips on enabling archiving:

• If a versioned dataset is registered with moving edits to base, archiving cannot be enabled. It must be unregistered and registered as versioned without the option to move edits to base.
  • You cannot enable versioning on a dataset that already has archiving enabled on it. You must disable archiving, register the dataset as versioned, then re-enable archiving.
MattTenold2
New Contributor II

Awesome.  That worked.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Have you already created a version of the default?  If so, try receonciling and po stinging (if needed) and removing the child versions....and a compress wouldn't work.  see if that changes anything.

0 Kudos