Unable to maintain GlobalID's

11-19-2020 05:54 PM
Labels (2)
GinoMellino
Occasional Contributor

Hello, 

I am trying to append a table to another table whilst maintaining globalid values using the append tool with the preserve global id's environment variable checked. The data has attachments enabled, in the source data the relate is based on the globalid field. However, when I run the append no global id is created in the destination table, and the attachments are instead created with objectID as the relationship link which is unusable as the data will eventually be published to ArcGIS Online and used with collector and survey123 - this requires globalid's. If I create global id's in the empty destination table before I run the append I get the good ol' 'ERROR 999999: Something unexpected caused the tool to fail' error.  

EDIT: Using ArcGIS Pro 2.5.2, advanced licence.

Does anyone have any idea where I am going wrong here? Is there a better way of doing this?

Many thanks in advance.

EDIT2: More information about what I am trying to do in case there is a better way...

We created a system to facilitate field inspections using collector and survey123. This consists of a point layer and related inspections table published to ArcGIS Enterprise Portal 10.7.1. A survey 123 form was then created using the inspections service url which has a few fields that could be edited including repeats containing photos. Therefore the point layer had a 1:M relationship with the inspections table (based on globalid:GUID fields) and the inspections table also has a 1:M relationship (based on globalid:REL_GLOBALID fields) with the attachments feature class (created by the survey123 form). The workflow for staff was to use an offline map in collector to locate the point, click on a URL in the points popup to fire up survey123, collect information, then submit the records, syncing when coming back into network range. This worked well and data was collected, however, there were a few changes that the field staff requested to the meters and inspections feature classes (e.g. new fields, some fields deleted, etc.). I am trying to make new feature classes with these changes, append the existing data to them, and republish as a version 2. So far the point layer: inspections relate is working fine, however, the inspections:attachments relate is where ArcGIS Pro is altering the relationship from globalid to objectid:rel_objectid which I believe is not compatible with offline-capable maps and surveys. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

You don't say which software you are using or which version and license level, we are not mind readers!

If you are using ArcGIS 10.8, according to the help file the append tool does not support Preserve Global ID  just look at environments section. Not sure if that is a documentation error that ESRI need to fix or they have genuinely taken it away, may be as part of their dropping support for ArcMap? Make their tools more useless and force you to use Pro?

If you are using ArcPro (you don't say you are) then the Append tool should support Preserve Global ID and Maintain Attachments.

0 Kudos
GinoMellino
Occasional Contributor

Apologies, Duncan, original post edited to include software version/licence - ArcGIS Pro 2.5.2, advanced. I definitely have the Preserve Global IDs environment variable checked.

0 Kudos
GinoMellino
Occasional Contributor

Got this to work by using Append in ArcGIS 10.7.1...global ids now maintained