Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to enable editing in 10.9 Enterprise feature layer created in Pro 3.1

Jump to solution
12-05-2023 05:37 AM
Labels (1)
GregKeith
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all,

I created a feature class in Pro 3.1 by buffering some centroids, then shared that as a web layer to our Enterprise 10.9 portal as a hosted feature layer. So far so good.

When I go to Settings for the feature to and try to enable editing and click Save, the screen shows the "Updating item.." gif, and hangs there. I've tried republishing, deleting the hosted layer and republishing, etc. I have Creator and Admin privileges.

Any help on cause and fix would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Eugene_Adkins

Also, curious if you checked the settings on the "z aware" option of your layer configuration? That can be viewed (for sure) or updated (I believe) by simply attempting to overwrite the published web layer.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Eugene_Adkins

Have you tried adjusting the editing settings on the layer via the server manager?

I have also had issues in the past with feature classes that were created as "z aware" but the configuration properties during the web layer publishing process did not have the "apply default to features with z-values" checked on the configuration tab. This can create conflicts in the behavior of published services meant for editing, though I'm not certain what difference it would make on a hosted layer versus a feature service.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
GregKeith

Thanks @Eugene_Adkins . How would I go about doing that?

0 Kudos
Eugene_Adkins

Your server manager site should be connected to your publishing url in some. Typically, you would enter your portal's url but instead of the portal/home string at the end of the url you would enter server/manager.

Here's some documentation to get you going: Log in to Manager—ArcGIS Server | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

Eugene_Adkins

Also, curious if you checked the settings on the "z aware" option of your layer configuration? That can be viewed (for sure) or updated (I believe) by simply attempting to overwrite the published web layer.

GregKeith

Thanks again @EugeneAdkins. The feature class in Pro doesn't have z or m values.

I shared as overwrite, this time going to the Configuration tab on the Overwrite tool and enabling editing there, as well as unchecking the z-values box. This did publish with editing enabled (yay!), but the editing tab in the Portal shows fewer options than other features. I'm happy to have editing enabled, but am curious about the differences between the features.
Layer in question

GregKeith_0-1701793293876.png

Other layers

GregKeith_1-1701793334650.png

0 Kudos
Eugene_Adkins

It looks like Editor Tracking is enabled on the other layers but not the one in question, which would answer the first difference. The other difference I'm not certain about. Perhaps it's looking at something unique created when a hosted feature layer is created? I do not see the same options with creating/overwriting a web layer on my side, even though I'm using Pro 3.1.1 and Portal 10.9.1. Perhaps there's a difference in our server versions?

Glad the original hurdle is resolved.