Select to view content in your preferred language

Trouble with vertical transformations

08-05-2024 06:59 AM
Labels (1)
cbursey
New Contributor

I need to convert vector and raster data between vertical datums, specifically between CGVD28 and CGVD2013.

I have previously used the NRCanada tool GPS-H to accomplish this, which is less than ideal especially for large raster datasets which have to be first converted to a text file.

I have just recently began looking into if this is possible in ArcGIS. From what I can understand, it is possible, however I cannot seem to get the vertical translation to work within the Project tool.

I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.3.1 and I have installed the ArcGIS Coordinate Systems Data files. 

When setting the input vertical coordinate system as CGVD1928 and the output as CGVD2013, the geographic transformation drop-down remains blank, and there is a warning message "001839: A datum transformation is expected, but the parameter is empty."

Project tool.PNG

It appears as if the transformation files I require exist, as is shown in this thread.

https://community.esri.com/t5/coordinate-reference-systems-questions/cgvd28-to-cgvd2013-transformati...

It is certainly possible that I am missing something in this process. Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
clt_cabq
Frequent Contributor

can you copy/past the text of the transformation you need into that spot? it looks from the dialogue there isn't actually a dropdown. I think I've run into this same issue before though its been a while since i had to do this.

0 Kudos
cbursey
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try to paste the name of the transformation into the space.

NAD83(CSRS)_epoch2010_Height_To_CGVD2013(CGG2013)_Height + NAD83(CSRS)_epoch2010_Height_To_CGVD28_Height_HT2

Which I pulled from https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/properties/pdf/geographic_transformations.pdf

The warning given when inputting it myself is below

001837.png

The Project tool will run even though there is a warning message, but the z values of the output points remain unchanged.

If I remove the vertical CS from the output and change the horizontal, the drop-down list appears as expected.

Project tool 2.png

Thanks again.

0 Kudos