Select to view content in your preferred language

Trail Length

12-14-2023 06:06 AM
DerekBernard
Occasional Contributor

Probably a simple question. I have a trail map and I would like to display the total miles of each type of trail.  This should be easy, but I really haven't had proper training.  Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Eugene_Adkins
Occasional Contributor III

A simplistic answer would be (considering you have actual polylines for the trails), make sure you have a "trail type" field in order to distinguish your data, then add a numeric field to the data called "trail length". Once you create the "trail length (mi)" field (that would be the field alias name) you can use the calculate geometry tool to calculate the length of the polylines in miles.

Once that process is complete you will be able to breakdown your data by trail type and length in miles.

Hope that helps. 

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

If you're looking for some ArcGIS Pro training, there is a plethora of avenues to pursue.  The Learn ArcGIS website is free and you can find some great training there such as Get started with ArcGIS Pro | Learn ArcGIS.  Search that site for free ArcGIS Pro training.  The Esri Academy has great resources, some free and some for a fee.  There is a great ArcGIS Pro learning plan - ArcGIS Pro Fundamentals | Learning Plan (esri.com) - to assist you as well.