Select to view content in your preferred language

TIN not 3D

03-12-2020 10:12 AM
BillMontgomery
Emerging Contributor

I have a TIN that is not displaying in 3D in ArcPro.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Do you have a license for the 3D Analyst extension?  This help topic describes how to display TIN's in 2D/3D.

0 Kudos
BillMontgomery
Emerging Contributor

Hi Robt. Yes we have a University site license, and I am pretty sure we have it activated for all of the major extensions, Network, 3D, Spatial, etc. - for ArcMap I am sure of that. However, I am a complete novice when it comes to Pro. I can go check our "settings" I guess....

I have been running through all of ESRI's help stuff for DAYS, getting nowhere. This exercise worked FINE in Arcmap for years, with shapefiles, MXDs, and SXDs. Aaarrrggh

Bill

BillMontgomery
Emerging Contributor

Hi Robt - Yup, found that we have plenty of seats with ArcGIS Pro Advanced, and 3D Analyst is right there at the numero-alphic beginning of the list 

I used to tell my students that all they had to do was "learn how to ask the right question" and they would find at least one other GIS person somewhere in the world (on ESRI faqs or whatever we called it in the olden days) who had encountered their problem and had figured out a workaround. 

Now all I do is google google google and see the same da*n thing over and over and over again. What is that famous line about "insanity"? That would be me.......I need a new mantra! Furthermore I sound like some geezer. Which I am.

Bill

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Ha!  I understand what you mean about insanity and old geezer. I'm 28 years in with Esri technologies - started in 1992 with ArcInfo Workstation.  Then ArcView*GIS.  Then ArcMap.  And now ArcGIS Pro!

So a licensing issue then?  Are you using Single Use, Concurrent Use or Named User?

0 Kudos
BillMontgomery
Emerging Contributor

Hi Robt -  I am pretty sure it is NOT a licensing issue, I checked and we have an advanced ArcGIS Pro license. We have plenty of extensions. I think it is the source or height field in my TIN, but I cannot figure out the problem and it's driving me NUTS. The source for the TIN has been an XY events theme joined to a table and then saved as a shapefile, and in the past was the source for the TIN.

I have been updating all of my ArcMap curriculum to ArcPro, and I get to the "whiz-bang" part when students ought to be able to see in 3D and all they see is some flat surface with some colored rings on it. Whoopee.

I don't think it's the license, but I do think something squirrely is going on, in that I now cannot even get the stuff that USED to display in 3D in ArcScene10.3 to even display in ArcScene 10.6 (my current version). 

Has anyone had trouble with displaying TINs recently, in either ArcScene or in ArcPro-Scene?

I am sliding BACKWARDS down the GIS hill. Somebody out there in social media land throw this old dog a bone!

bill in nj

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Bill - email me at rleclair@esri.com and I'll give you my office number so we can figure this out.

0 Kudos