The ArcGIS Pro automatically eliminates the previously connected folders upon restart,

09-12-2015 10:42 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

The ArcGIS Pro automatically eliminates the previously connected folders upon restart,

I couldn’t figure out why the ArcGIS Pro automatically eliminates the previously connected folders upon restart. Are we supposed to reconnect to all folders each time we restart the ArcGIS Pro.

For example, in the screenshot below, the “Practical3_GeoProcessing” is connected to ArcGIS Pro. Once the ArcGIS Pro is closed and restarted, the connection to that folder is no longer there!

What might be the issue here?

Clip_510.jpg

Clip_511.jpg

Thank you

Best

Jamal

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There appears to have been some changes to the folder structure, perhaps one was renamed?

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/projects/connect-to-a-folder.htm

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Are you opening the same project that you saved with the folder connection?  I can't tell in your images whether you are opening the same "H1" project in the send Pro image. 

Pro organizes by projects. ArcCatalog is independent of projects and is not directly related to Pro (which is a new, and independent product).    ArcMap and ArcCatalog are mor directly tied together.  Also, since Pro is so new, not all things in Map/Catalog can be directly compared with Pro.  Not all things will work the same (ever) and some things have not been ported over yet.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I opened another file other than the H1. The connections are lost. This might mean that the connections are preserved if the same file (H1) is opened, otherwise, they are lost. correct?

Jamal Numan
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'm not at a place I can test right now, but as I understand it, that is the case.  Just open H1 again to verify.​

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

correct. If H1 is opened, then the connections are there!

This appears as if the connections are stored in the .aprx file and thus if a new file is created, then connections are required to be set from scratch.

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

makes sense...I don't see why the connections would remain if they weren't associated with an apr

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Well. One single reason: just in case we need to explore them. This is the case in Catalog since long time ago and we are happy with it.

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Things change...make a suggestion for its return

JenniferMcCall4
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jamal,

Folder connections in ArcGIS Pro are stored per project.  This helps to organize the folder connections and limit them to only the ones required for that project.

If you want your folder connections there each time you open Pro, I would create a general template project that you can save and work with each time.

Check out Create a new project—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop and look at the Create a project from another template section.  I think this may be the solution to your issue.

Cheers,

Jennifer