Text Layout

Jump to solution
09-09-2021 01:23 PM
ArnieWaddell1
New Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro 2.8

I have text in a layout and I am panning, zooming in and out, and want the text to remain fixed to the location I originally place it in the layout.  How is the accomplished.

Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Just for the good of the thread I think this link to the help on Map Notes may be helpful.

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Arnie, 

You may also want to consider using Map Graphics.

I think it might also be helpful to highlight the difference between map "space" and layout (page)"space".

Map space is the geographic space, or real-world coordinates that your features and graphics (shapes, pictures, text...) are placed. 

Layout (page) space is the graphical, on screen representation of the medium (such as a piece of paper) that your map and all the map surrounds and extra map marginalia (title, pictures, and text) are placed.

Obviously these are not the same. This is true for ArcMap as it is true for ArcGIS Pro, though, unfortunately, terminology is not consistent across the products and this may be cause for some confusion. Here is the pertinent information from the ArcMap help (Working with data frames in page layouts😞

"In layout view, focusing the active data frame allows you to work with the features and elements in that data frame as though you were in data view. You can create, delete, and edit features, graphics, and text in a focused data frame.

When working in layout view with an unfocused data frame, text and graphics that you draw are added to the page layout, stored in the units of the page, and won't appear if you switch to data view."

In ArcGIS Pro the ArcMap "data frame" is a "map view" and "focusing the active data frame" is "activating a map frame". Terms are different but the concept is the same. 

Hope this helps, 

Tom

0 Kudos