Text formatting for feature linked annotation

03-21-2024 02:29 PM
MaciekB
New Contributor II

Hi all.

I am using ArcGIS "Pro" version 2.8.8 and am having trouble modifying the text symbol for feature linked annotation. I have road labels coverted to feature linked annotation and I need to add a halo to a particular piece of text due to a busy background. I have found that in the attribute window under the 'Annotation' tab, the options to alter the text are greyed out. Under the 'Attributes' tab I can change basic things like font size, alignment etc but not more advanced formatting like adding a halo. I can change advanced properties for non-feature linked annotation, but not for feature linked. This was easily achievable in ArcMap and applied routinely, seems like ArcGIS "Pro" is a step backwards?

MaciekBarszczowski_0-1711056207755.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JosphatMutunga
Esri Contributor

Thanks @MaciekB for your question. Please review details of BUG-000157157 and confirm if that is what you are experiencing? 

What else to check:

1. Check if strings for the road label are derived from two or more fields 

2. Check that all road features have both fields values populated (not Null)

We fixed this issue with ArcGIS Pro 3.2 release. Are you able to upgrade to this version even if only to test?

0 Kudos
MaciekB
New Contributor II

Hi,

Yes the road labels are derived from multiple fields, many of which have null values.

Unfortunately I do not have the freedom to upgrade to 3.2, I need to wait until it is rolled out by the GIS administrators.

0 Kudos
JosphatMutunga
Esri Contributor

Thanks for confirming. 

Basically, the bug occurs if feature-linked annotations were created from labels that derive strings from 2 or more fields through an expression but some of the values are Null. The result is that the feature-linked annotation is created with a 'missing' string (where part of the label returned Null) so the Annotation commands do not enable in Attribute pane if resulting feature is selected. 

Sorry to hear that you are unable to upgrade. I'd suggest exploring the workaround options provided on the bug to decide if any works for you.

0 Kudos
MaciekB
New Contributor II

I've come up with a workaround where I created a new, empty, non-feature linked annotation featureclass, then into it I copied the affected road label, gave that a halo and placed it underneath the feature linked text. It works but it's a bit fiddly and not ideal.