Texas Building Footprints

Jump to solution
08-08-2018 06:04 AM
SonaSunny
Occasional Contributor

Has anyone had success in converting the Microsoft building footprints data for Texas  to featureclass? I tried several times using the conversion tool box but it keeps on crashing.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Update: I tested importing North Dakota using the JSON to Features GP tool and it worked fine, no crashes.

I would install Pro 2.2.2 and then rested.

--- George T.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
George_Thompson

This works: https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=9da0f8ae5fee45aca11bf77f712884c8 

Requires ArcGIS Pro 2.2 and ArcGIS Data Interoperability extension, or the FME 2018 product.

It worked great for me!

--- George T.
SonaSunny
Occasional Contributor

Thank you will try that!

0 Kudos
SonaSunny
Occasional Contributor

I don't have the Data Interoperability Extension. I tried to use a trial version of the FME 2018 product but that is crashing too 😞 . Were you able to extract the Texas data ?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Sona Sunny‌ I was able to do this with Data Interop extension. I did NOT install FME from their site.

BUG-000116435

Performance issue when converting large GeoJSON files.

Release notes for ArcGIS Pro 2.2—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

The latest patch can be downloaded/installed via the Pro built-in updater or via My Esri. Once installed and retry the workflow, please report back. Thanks!

--- George T.
SonaSunny
Occasional Contributor

It worked!!! Pro 2.2.2 is the Winner! It took  50 min to convert the Texas Geojson file to a File geotabase feature Class. Thank you George for letting me know of the latest patch! I had almost given up on this dataset as FME also crashed and that's when saw your post!

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Thanks for the update! I am glad to hear that it is working for you now.

--- George T.
NicholasBailey
New Contributor II

I got this to run and work but when i looked at the attribute table it didn't have shape length or area length? Any idea of what i have to do to get it to import the height attributes?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

There is shape area and length: See for Texas below.

I bet the small #'s are related to the spatial reference of the data.

I do not see any data related to height attributes only the 2D representation of the building footprint.

--- George T.
NicholasBailey
New Contributor II

Perfect. I got it to work using the FME workbench. Only problem now is my buildings are in the middle of the ocean near Africa. How did you manage to get it into EPSG: 4326? I cant find that projection anywhere in the ESRI system.

0 Kudos