Terrible ArcGIS Pro Performance (2.6.3)

11-25-2020 12:31 PM
Labels (1)
AlexisDragoni
New Contributor

What is the problem with ArcGIS Pro's performance? I have tried the cache delete method, but to no avail. All tools are EXTREMLEY slow.

6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This question comes up a lot, generally with little to no resolution.

You have named one culprit, but

If it is really that bad, it would be worth a trying a project on a comparable but different machine (to rule out Pro stuff).  Or, Tech Support.

I wish I could help, but I don't experience any of the symptoms that others report.

Good luck

... sort of retired...
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Agreed - could be time for a call to support services.  One thing to try is rename your C:\users\<user profile>\appdata\local\ESRI and C:\users\<user profile>\appdata\roaming\ESRI to ESRI_OLD.  Sometimes this addresses the problem.

SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

are you accessing it over VPN? I'm currently using 2.6.2 and it seems to really slow down when I work from home.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Sarah - are you VPN'ing into your work PC from home and accessing AGP that way?  Or are you using a PC at home (standalone license perhaps) and VPN'ing into work for geospatial data?  VPN can slow down internet speeds certainly.  There are many non-Esri websites providing solutions to boosting your internet speed while using VPN.

0 Kudos
MikeRatcliffe
Occasional Contributor

I too am getting extremely (un-useable) sluggishness in Pro 2.6.3, esp. after the WIN 10 20H2 updates.  Application-level interface barely highlights buttons when the mouse hovers over them.  researching...

UPDATE: while I have identified the solution in my case (updating an optional AMD hardware driver), I uninstalled and reinstalled Pro 2.6.3 numerous times.  Now I have another issue: When attempting to load Arcpy, I have a failing KERNALBASE.dll in Python 3.6.10 , which is the default install with 2.6.3.  None of the integrated geoprocessing tools work.  researching...

UPDATE2:  Recent release of 2.7.0, which is a comprehensive update (including old file removal processes) has also removed the KERNELBASE.dll issue altogether.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Mike - in researching this it seems the latest Windows update or service pack tested for ArcGIS 2.6 is the June 2020 Windows 10 Home, Pro, and Enterprise (64-bit) update - at least that's what the AGP Help pages are saying.  Perhaps the latest Windows Update changed something significantly?

0 Kudos