Splitting line wipes out domain attributes

Jump to solution
03-08-2019 10:38 AM
LeeBrannon1
Occasional Contributor

Wondering if this is a bug in ArcGIS Pro 2.3.1 - did a Google search but did not find it mentioned.

While editing a line feature in Pro 2.3.1, specifically performing a Split on the line, numerous attributes that had been existing (saved) for that line just get wiped out, so that both segments from the Split are missing the attributes.  I expected both line segments to retain all the original line's attributes.  All the attributes that are wiped out belong to domains, so it's not difficult for me to get the attributes added back in, but definitely a nuisance that gets repeated over and over again.  Am switching back to ArcMap to complete this project. 

Versioned SDE Geodatabase in Microsoft SQL Server

ArcGIS Pro 2.3.1 Advanced

Windows 10

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Here's a similar thread in regards to splitting polygons in Pro and results of fields with domains:

https://community.esri.com/message/827702-splitting-of-polygons-in-arcgis-pro-23-changes-my-features... 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Here's a similar thread in regards to splitting polygons in Pro and results of fields with domains:

https://community.esri.com/message/827702-splitting-of-polygons-in-arcgis-pro-23-changes-my-features... 

RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Go into your Domain and set the split  policy to Duplicate

LeeBrannon1
Occasional Contributor

Both the above replies are correct and were very helpful - thank you.  I had totally forgotten about the split policy for domains, which stated 'default' for mine when 'duplicate' would be the setting I actually want.

In ArcMap, this process plays out the way that I had gotten used to:  the split feature result are two features that are assigned the attributes of the original feature (even for domain values).  Which does not actually coincide accurately with my split policy of 'default value' - my default values are all blank.  ArcMap appears to be subject to the same split policy as ArcGIS Pro but is not behaving that way, at least for me. 

Maybe I'll finish this project in Arc Pro after all.