Select to view content in your preferred language

Split tool in ArcGIS Pro doesn't split all selected polygons

Jump to solution
08-08-2023 11:23 AM
Labels (1)
ChristopherJStrong
New Contributor III

Hello, I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3.1, and it doesn't appear that the Split tool is working across multiple selected polygons.

For example, I have multiple coincident polygons that I'm trying to divide using the Split tool.  They are all selected, and I draw the split line bisecting all of them.  The tool only divides the first polygon encountered, and ignores the following.

In ArcMap, this tool could divide multiple polygons at a time.

Is this a bug? Am I missing something simple?

Below, Drawing a line to split multiple selected polygons (Allow splitting without a selection is unchecked)

splitline.JPG

The Result:

splitresult.JPG

The result when attempting the same process with Allow splitting without selection checked. (This was done after the first test, hence the two sets of split polygons).

splittingwithoutselection.JPG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndrewMcKibben
New Contributor II

I think I might have figured this one out for me. It was a projection issue. The map and the layer weren’t in the same coordinate system. Now that they are I am able to cut multiple polygons again. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
KristineBlancoH
New Contributor

I am having the same issue.. following for response

RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Just tested this in 2.9.3 and 3.1.2 and both are splitting all the selected polygons as expected.

RhettZufelt_1-1691592936179.png

RhettZufelt_2-1691592942098.png

R_

ChristopherJStrong
New Contributor III

Hmm, strange.  I just ran an update on Pro, and seems to be working for me as expected now.  Scratching my head over here - maybe I missed something the first time around.  Thanks for checking!

0 Kudos
AndrewMcKibben
New Contributor II

Well this stinks. I’m running in to the exact same issue.

However, I’m already up to date with 3.1.2. I even repaired the installation to no avail. Fixing this would save me mountains of time. 

0 Kudos
AndrewMcKibben
New Contributor II

I think I might have figured this one out for me. It was a projection issue. The map and the layer weren’t in the same coordinate system. Now that they are I am able to cut multiple polygons again. 

NoahWasserman
New Contributor III

This worked for me (3.1.3).  FFS. Thank you.

0 Kudos
MarcViPatti
New Contributor

Yup, this worked me too. Thanks for sharing!

0 Kudos