Small vs big Polygon overlap on a Map Question

02-13-2022 08:48 PM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Hi ,

I have been searching  or google  for a map that shows two polygons with no luck. What I want is to look at a map or maps  where there are two polygons that overlap each other.  What I mean is if there is a small polygon that is under a big polygon. Are there examples that can I look at ?  and if so what is the workflow for that ?

I hope this is not a hard question to ask .

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JohnNelsonEsri
New Contributor II

well I guess you'll just have to trust me that it's a word I guess! 🙂

regardless of terminology, do any of the strategies I describe above sound helpful in your circumstance?

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Not yet read it since I have been really busy lately. Starting a new project on AGOL for historical aerial photo project on my forest.... I will get a chance to read it this weekend.

0 Kudos
GregBenskin
New Contributor

Here is how I go about it.

Potential Synopsys: Lets say for example you have a sports complex. The entire complex may be represented by a large polygon, while you would like the club house to be situated on the complex polygon and the club house kitchen on the club house polygon. But when one views the layer the large polygon overshadows all the smaller ones making it difficult or impossible to view. 

This is what you could do to correct the issue within ARC View or ARC Editor:

1.) Click on the layer you wish to display

2.) right click while on the layer and select Properties

3.) Layer Properties will appear, Select the 5th Tab from the right called Symbology

4.) Select Unique Symbology and Adjust Symbols or Color Choices according to your needs

5.) Select Advanced at the bottom of the page (See Below then move down for step 6.)

GregBenskin_0-1674825010782.png

Step 6.) once you have selected Advanced you will be able to Select Symbol Levels and set the priority in which various categories in your layer may be displayed. Polygons you wish to display at the top or visually above, should be given the higher numbers while Larger polygons with lower visual priority are given lower numbers. [In this case I wanted the Community Centre to appear above the Stadium and the stadium above the Complex] 

GregBenskin_1-1674826045412.png

The Result:

GregBenskin_2-1674826720826.png

0 Kudos