Shape file slides data into next column

10-14-2020 08:31 AM
TrevorMillen
New Contributor III

Creating a Shape file in another software and viewing in ArcGIS Pro. Open, make a map and print a layout. Next day open again and the error below showed up. The shape file has saved with these errors.

1. Using ArcGIS Pro we import the shape file and create a map using Region 7 and 8 and all is good.

2. When we open the map (.aprx) later, the map and layer is broken like below.

Now Region has been placed in the Network field? FromKM, ToKM and RepLength slide into NeedRacs also?

Anything we can do to solve this issue?

Shape file is created using excel, attached to access in Geomedia 2016 and Dynamically segmented to LRS. Then Exported to Shape file.

So far:

• I cannot recreate the issue 100% of the time
  • the shape file works in another software and ArcGIS Pro when first loaded
    • guessing something triggers the data to switch fields in arcgis pro process?
  • when opening the now bugged shape file in another software it's bugged there also.. So hard save to file?

Region = 7 or 8                                                                              NeedsRacs = x, Yes or No (numbers are from LRS fields)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can you elaborate on:

Using ArcGIS Pro we import the shape file

The term "import" implies something specific, which I don't think you are doing, but I want to make sure.

Are you making any updates to the shape file after using/loading it in Pro?

Can you share a portion of the shape file?

0 Kudos
TrevorMillen
New Contributor III

Hi Joshua Bixby‌,

Yes,

You are correct the use of  "import" above is referring to finding the shape file in file folders and "Add to map".

I cannot share this shape file sorry, but Yes I found out he did edits in the shape file .. changed some records "year" field.. deleted some records and that is when the error occurred.

The excel document used had extreme database logic inconstancy <symbols in the title and field names &()> <Spaces and the title of the document started with a number "2020 & 2021 ..."

I'm testing different methods to try and repeat the error if you have any suggestions..

and

I will create a document I can share with you and will try to get it to do the same thing.

0 Kudos