Select to view content in your preferred language

Save Arcpro project without a new folder created

02-15-2023 07:02 AM
Labels (2)
RobbynAbbitt
New Contributor III

Is there a way to have ArcPro NOT save a new folder for each project.  Our workflow has always been to save projects (mxds and now aprxs) into existing folders.  

The current settings of saving new folders for every arcpro project is creating an unnecessarily complex and confusing folder structure for our organization.

Thank you in advance.

6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When you create a new project, it's a checkbox:

jcarlson_0-1676474272626.png

It's also in the General Application settings:

jcarlson_1-1676474309404.png

So just change that to not create folders and default to whatever folder you want your project files to end up in, and that should do it.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
RobbynAbbitt
New Contributor III

Thanks for the quick answer.  If you start from a Map template, yes I see the option to turn off the folder.

However, the workflow we sometimes have is to start without a template and then save later if the project is something that needs to be saved.  When you follow that path, you do not get the option to not create a folder for the project.

RobbynAbbitt_0-1676474841563.png

Perhaps this is something I should put in the "Ideas" community to have this same checkbox available when you are saving from an open ArcPro window?

jbelak_audubon
New Contributor II

There is nothing useful about this default behavior of automatically creating subdirectories when a project is started without a template and then saved. All it does is create chaos. Why?

BrianArcher
New Contributor

Agreed! It should be optional...not automatic.

0 Kudos
LyonMNGIS
Occasional Contributor III

@RobbynAbbitt 

Did you ever submit an idea for this request?  @jcarlson is correct that we can store a map without a project folder, but only if we begin with the map template.  I want to create a aprx file when we create a project with no template.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RobbynAbbitt
New Contributor III

In ArcPro 3.2 creating a folder is now an option!  I still struggle with the creation of geodatabases and toolboxes with the project name, but for now I'm happy that we don't have folders being created every time we open ArcPro.