Select to view content in your preferred language

Remove unwanted value in Unique Values renderer

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
Pukawai
Emerging Contributor

How do you remove unwanted values from a layer symbolized by unique values? I have searched everywhere through the interface , can't find it, nor does selecting the value and clicking delete do anything. Is this yet another "upgrade" from ArcMap?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SteveCole
Honored Contributor

What I do is right click on the value, and then select the remove value option. I do it one by one, so I'm not sure if you can select multiple and remove them in one fell swoop.

removeUniqueValueEx.jpg

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

In Pro 3.3.1 select the classes you want to remove. First remove all values it adds by default by click on the three next to 100 symbol classes and click on remove heading and classes

Ed__0-1727898070785.png

then once they are removed click on the green + sign and select the ones you want to add

Ed__1-1727898134447.png

I know it's not a direct solution and kind of a hassle but it gets it done

Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos
Pukawai
Emerging Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately even the hassle won't accomplish the task. Adding values adds them with some default symbology and the symbology is a HUGE hassle to create, in fact I created by writing a custom tool in ArcObjects and then saving the results as a layer file so that I could import the symbology into Pro. The workaround is to keep a functioning ArcMap project around where I CAN delete the unwanted symbols and export those as another layer file. Also a hassle, and not sustainable. and I'm not real keen on trying to convert the ArcObjects code to Pro either.

SteveCole
Honored Contributor

What I do is right click on the value, and then select the remove value option. I do it one by one, so I'm not sure if you can select multiple and remove them in one fell swoop.

removeUniqueValueEx.jpg

Pukawai
Emerging Contributor

That works! But only IF you right-click in just the right spot on the row. Elsewhere you don't get a context menu at all. Thank You. I did try it on multiple selected value rows (n just the right spot) and it did get rid of all the selected ones.

clt_cabq
Frequent Contributor

I'd suggest applying a definition query to your layer - that will make your unique values renderer only show the values that are allowed by the query. If you simply remove the item from the renderer it can cause problems depending on what you are doing with the layer - the feature is still rendering, just with no symbology which means it is still there and can return results from selections, overlay analyses, and identification actions. A definition query also makes it explicitly clear to others using your map what design choices you were making. And don't even get me started on 'selection layers'. 

0 Kudos