Relating Separate Data along Common Features

10-30-2021 02:01 PM
jagarolik603
New Contributor

Hello, I've spent weeks watching tutorial videos, with trial and error, and no success for what I'm trying to do. I'm hoping that the community might be able to help.

Desired Outcome
I am volunteering for a small town who is looking to catalog possible pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure in the region. Ultimately, I would like to place an interactive map online so that people can browse the map, where people can see:

• the identified possible routes are, and
  • the various proposed projects to improve those routes.

Background
In order to assemble this, I have 2 sets of information: routes and projects.

Routes are currently in a polyline feature layer and show along the map where the potential routes are located. This information is specific to the geography of the given route, and this is reflected in the attributes of the routes: length, proposed treatment (e.g. bridge, crossing, etc.), proposed width, proposed surface material, current width, current surface material, etc.

Projects are initiatives to improve a given set of routes. Some projects are small, perhaps localized to just one neighborhood with a handful of route features in them, while other projects are broad regional initiatives comprised of hundreds of route features. Projects also have their own specific attributes, such as: project name, description, funding mechanism, coordinating agency, budget, funding status, website link, etc.

The Problem
I have compiled every possible route into a feature layer and it's ready to go. Now I am trying to set up some form of a relationship so that the routes are associated with their corresponding projects. I cannot just have a route attribute for "project" because some routes are in multiple different projects. In reality, any given route feature can be in 0 projects or in many different projects

This is actually very similar to how roads are organized, where local roads may have a local name (e.g.: Main St, School St., etc.) but could be part larger, identified networks (e.g. State Highway 1, County Highway 10, etc.). In this theoretical example, a "State Highway" is necessarily comprised of dozens or hundreds of local roads, and local roads could be in zero, one, or many different state highways.

Please Help!
So I have been trying to figure this out for weeks to no avail. I have tried learning about joins, relates, spatial relationships, and relationship classes, including trying build them out. So far none have achieved the desired outcome identified at the top of this post. How can I have it so that all routes exist with their own data, all projects exist with their own data, but for there to be a relationship between them that I can display on my map?

Any suggestions would be helpful!

0 Kudos
0 Replies