Select to view content in your preferred language

Refreshing metadata in Pro

Jump to solution
08-03-2022 10:59 AM
Labels (2)
GIS_MJ
by
New Contributor III

Hi - I was wondering if there is a way to refresh the metadata in a map when a feature class has been replaced/overwritten? I often overwrite file geodatabases on our server with file geodatabases that I worked on locally. In file explorer, I copy/paste and replace the entire geodatabase (with the same exact name for the gdb plus all feature classes have the same name). When I do this, the old metadata still shows in the feature properties 'view metadata' tab in the map (right click on feature in Contents). However, if I look at the metadata for the datasource from the geodatabase it shows the new metadata (navigate to geodatabase in catalog pane - right click on feature class - view metadata). The feature class in the catalog pane is the datasource for the feature class in the map.  Is the old metadata saved in the map or something? Is there a refresh button for the metadata?  The Catalog View 'Refresh' button doesn't update to the new metadata like I would expect.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

A layer uses the data source's metadata by default but it can also have its own separate metadata. Look under the Layer --> Properties --> Metadata tab at the top. Once layer metadata is set, it becomes independent of the data source metadata from what I can tell and is stored with the Project. Might have something to do with your problem.

BarryNorthey_0-1659656963014.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

A layer uses the data source's metadata by default but it can also have its own separate metadata. Look under the Layer --> Properties --> Metadata tab at the top. Once layer metadata is set, it becomes independent of the data source metadata from what I can tell and is stored with the Project. Might have something to do with your problem.

BarryNorthey_0-1659656963014.png

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nice! I think that the "once layer metadata is set" it becomes stored in the feature class itself - Could anyone confirm this?

0 Kudos
GIS_MJ
by
New Contributor III

@BarryNorthey Thank you that was it! Problem fixed 😀

0 Kudos