Recover Deleted Map or Layout From Project and Backups?

08-21-2020 08:52 AM
PeteJordan
Occasional Contributor III

Is there a way to recover or undo a deleted map from the Maps folder in a Project?  It seems from my limited experience that when I try and delete a map that exists in a layout I get a warning, but if I accidentally delete a map that doesn't have a layout or I delete the wrong one, I don't get any "Are you sure" warnings and the map is just gone.

Same question I guess for layouts, can those be brought back if accidentally deleted or do you have to recreate it from scratch again?

Finally, is there any backups of a Pro Project at all you can do?  Only way I can think of doing this is just to copy the entire Projects folder off the drive and zip that up, but wasn't sure if that even works correctly or if there is an easier thing in case someone (me or someone else) accidentally deletes maps or layouts?

Thanks

2 Replies
malanieb
New Contributor

I just did the same thing. You can recover it by going to your catalogue pane and expanding layout. Hopefully you figured this out long ago but for anyone else with the same heart attack - hope this helps. 

As for backups - I save everything on my PC just by saving the project files in folders... Probably a better way but works for me as I have had so many bugs with Arcgis I don't trust my work to only be accessed though my online content. 

StevenVanderploeg
New Contributor II

Brilliant!  Thank you malanieb.  

0 Kudos