Select to view content in your preferred language

Reassigning Projection and/or GCS

Jump to solution
03-26-2024 05:06 PM
Labels (2)
ODWC_GIS
New Contributor III

I have a Feature Class, it is assumed to use WGS 1984 as its geographic coordinate system and Web Mercator as its projection.

The dataset is part of a group effort: several organizations, each with their own conventions, decided to share their data with each other.  A Third Party gathered the various datums and provide access to all... whereupon the data is labeled as the ArcGIS Online Standard Projection.

The main issue is that the dataset cannot possibly be using Web Mercator.

I'm pretty sure that the old ArcMap software allowed a User to reassign a layer's coordinate system and/or projection. 

• Does ArcGIS Pro have any tools that offer the same functionality?

I don't want to Reproject the current layer. 

It's current Spatial Reference information is not correct.

I want to replace the current info with a different one.  I want to try a few different ones, to see if I can make the polygons align with some control points I know to be true.

Where Now.PNG

I know this might not look too far off, but I'm zoomed out quite a bit (very small scale).  The real location of a boundary can be pretty important, and no one wants to be standing 30 feet on the wrong side of one in this neck of the woods.  That's not to say there aren't plenty of friendly folks in those woods, but every single one of them is armed.

I've looked in a few toolboxes and property attributes without success.  Have I just forgotten something basic, or is the option gone?  Is there a workaround?

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Define Projection (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

can be used if the coordinate system was defined incorrectly... it will not project the data, just tell it "what it is", 

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Define Projection (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

can be used if the coordinate system was defined incorrectly... it will not project the data, just tell it "what it is", 

... sort of retired...
ODWC_GIS
New Contributor III

Mein Gott...  There it is!

Thanks a bundle!

0 Kudos