"Opening the Selected ArcGIS project failed: This project was saved using a newer version of ArcGIS Pro"

05-02-2018 07:40 AM
VeronicaMcCall
New Contributor II

Does anyone know why I'm getting this error when trying to open current projects that previously crashed? They seemed to crash due to geoprocessing or saving the project. 

75 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Scott HarrisKory Kramer this may be totally irrelevant but....in trying to repro (chasing down the layer file cause), I notice that in Pro 2.3.1, when I create a layer file, the xml header is showing version 2.3.0....

0 Kudos
ChrisWellwood
New Contributor

Running 2.3.2 and had this happen on May 3, 2019, so looks like it was not fixed in the update to 2.3.1.  Even though I was very diligent about saving my work as you must do in ArcPro and spent the weekend trying to get to my work back, no luck.  Unlike some others, my file size was not 0 but remained the proper size just would not open.  I'll submit a ticket when I have time to do so.

0 Kudos
ErikAndersson
New Contributor

Hello,

I've experienced this issue severeal times the last couple of months.

1. I think it occurs when I remove my laptop from the workstation and the connection goes from wired to Wi-Fi. The program keeps on running with no hassle and I can save etc. The issue starts when I try to open the project.
  2. Not an issue.
  3. Don´t know.

My solution is to restore an old version of the project , usually from the day before. Then I can open it without any problems. I've added a picture of how to do it (its in Swedish).

Restore function in Windows

Hope that can help anyone. 

/Erik

MikeJones1
New Contributor II

This isn't the most ideal workaround, but it's the most effective I've seen being able to recover a project.  Thank you!

SaidDouai1
New Contributor II

Hello Everyone,

I have the same error this morning.

This is the way I resolve the problem it might be luck. My project is saved in the desktop, I just copy the project from my desktop to the default drive where all ArcGIS  Pro are saved automatically. when I opened the project again it opens without any problem.  

good luck to everyone

0 Kudos
MelindaAngeles1
New Contributor II

Oh no... this has just happened to me. Have there been any new solutions to this problem?

0 Kudos
StephanieSnider
Occasional Contributor III

This happened to me this morning.  I was creating a mobile map package and the application froze.  Then the whole computer froze.  I couldn't even open the Task Manager.  I had to force a shut down on my computer.  Now that project file is corrupted.  I can open other project files, but not the one I was working on.  It says that the version I'm trying to open is higher than my current version.  But I'm at the highest version now and was this morning when I was working in it.  This is really frustrating as I lost work.  The data is fine, but the layer setup/symbology/labels etc will all need to be setup again.  Arg!!!

0 Kudos
KatieErickson
New Contributor III

This also just happened to me. My computer froze when logging back in after the screen went to sleep, now my project is corrupt.

0 Kudos
DerekMStrout
Occasional Contributor

Hello everyone,

My colleague just experienced this issue and I'm wondering if there has been any revelations as to the cause or a recovery solution?  He stated that he clicked 'Save' and then tried to X-out of Pro very shortly thereafter, which caused Pro and his computer to seize up, forcing a hard restart.

While the project is showing a file size, I am also unable to open it (receiving the same error as OP) via methods described above (copying to default Pro project location in Documents, opening from File Explorer, etc).  We are both running 2.5.1, which is without question a newer version than that with which the project was created.

Thank you,
Derek

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The same exact thing just happened to me, and I'm running 2.5.2. This is extremely frustrating, ESRI! Any solution? My company runs regular backups every hour, so I was able to restore it to a previous version(an hour before). Regardless, this is very frustrating.

0 Kudos