"Opening the Selected ArcGIS project failed: This project was saved using a newer version of ArcGIS Pro"

05-02-2018 07:40 AM
VeronicaMcCall
New Contributor II

Does anyone know why I'm getting this error when trying to open current projects that previously crashed? They seemed to crash due to geoprocessing or saving the project. 

75 Replies
StephanieLong1
New Contributor III

I have a project that simply won't open.  The error message states that it was created in a newer version of ArcGIS Pro, but it was actually created in an older version.  When I attempt to open the project on a computer with the correct version, it says OpenProjectAsync Failed.  Would be nice if we could 'repair' the .aprx file on our own.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
ThomasTsunemoto
New Contributor

Hello,

Has there been an official fix on this bub by esri officials? I'm having this issue as well. 

TestGnu
New Contributor

Same issue with me today.. The problem occurred after I hit the close button, whilst the project was saving. Thereafter, when I restarted the Pro Project - it wouldn't open citing the new version error

Geobunga
New Contributor III

This bug is still happening when trying to open certain Pro projects using version 3.2.0 (newest version). I am unsure what version the projects were originally saved from, and no way to know who last saved the projects that won't open. Some of these projects were last saved over a year ago and cannot be restored from backups. Is there ever going to be a fix or acknowledgement of what causes this error? 

StephanieLong1
New Contributor III

That's a bummer to hear!

0 Kudos
Jmullen
New Contributor

March of 2024, nearly 6 years after the original post on this thread, I received this error today. My computer froze up while trying to create a simple polygon. Went through the suggested work arounds with no luck. Tried to locate an error report but nothing was generated. On version 3.2.2, project file didn't go to zero like some others on this thread. Associated database and feature classes are still accessible but styling and 15+ layouts will need to be redone. Any updates regarding this bug? 

JohnMullen_iowadnr_0-1710791993149.png

JohnMullen_iowadnr_1-1710792065966.png

0 Kudos