Question on pro (2.9) behaviro regarding LAS elevation/unit displayed in pop-up window

07-15-2022 08:53 PM
YukunXing
New Contributor III

Points in an LAS file I have are shown as X ft in the pop-up window, while nearby elevations on the topographic map reads ~ X*3.2808 ft.

Confusing behavior 1. Thinking the LAS may have defined incorrect vertical unit, I ran Define Projection on the LAS file, setting the vertical datum to NAVD 88 height m. While this changed the unit in the pop-up to meters, the elevation in the pop-up now has been scaled by 3.2808 - there was no scaling factor specified in Define Projection.

Confusing behavior 2. The same LAS file (.prj file created in 1 deleted) is added to a fresh/new map (map 2). The same point shows as X * 3.2808 ft in the pop-up, and which is correct.

"Current Z" of both maps 1 and 2 is "None" at this point.

Confusing behavior 3. If "Current Z" of map 2 is set to NAVD 88 height meter, the value becomes X ft in the pop-up. And if "Current Z" for map 1 to NAVD 88 height ft, the value in the pop-up becomes X * 3.2808 ft.

What is causing behavior 1?

And why does ArcGIS Pro scale the displayed elevation but not the unit when the vertical datum of the data frame changes? This just seems wrong to me. Making things worse is that adding data with defined vertical datum doesn't seem to automatically set "Current Z" like it does the XY coordinate system.

What am I missing?

0 Kudos
0 Replies