Select to view content in your preferred language

Python environments in ArcGIS Pro broken after upgrade

07-31-2019 09:17 AM
Jay_Gregory
Regular Contributor

I recently upgraded ArcGIS Pro from 2.3.1 to 2.4.  In addition to the default arcgispro-py3 environment, I had also created two additional environments by cloning the original arcgispro-py3 environment in Pro 2.3.1 .  After the upgrade, in the Manage Environments window, the other two environments are unable to be activated, with the error "Broken Environment: cannot be activated."

However, using the command prompt, I am able to active these two environments using conda activate, but UNABLE to import arcpy once activated and running python within them.  The error when trying to import arcpy is "importError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found."

Is this behavior intended?  It seems to defeat the purpose of having isolated environments with package versions if these environments break after a Pro upgrade.

Or does this have to do specifically with the licensed arcpy library, and any environments created you want to persist after an upgrade cannot be clones of the original arcgispro-py3 environment?

Thanks!

1 Reply
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Seems like this a re-occuring theme.  See https://community.esri.com/thread/237239-cloned-environment-broken-after-updating-to-24

Dan Patterson

That should just about do it....