Page query

111
7
07-23-2019 07:43 AM
MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

I was tinking the forever time need to do simple task taking forever was because I was in win7.  I'm now with the latest win10.


I'm selecting around 50 annotations to bath activating Page Query.  I start selecting my map series page filter for more than one hour and, still running.  Take more time than doing it manually one by one in arcmap.


It's using around 50% of the CPU and memory....


Not very fast for a 64-bit program.


Lots of actions, primarily make in the table of contents take forever.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Marcel, 

I'm having difficulty understanding what you are trying to do.  Are you - 

1. Selecting 50 annotation layers in the Contents Pane (TOC)

2. Opening the properties for these 50 layers

3. Going to the Page Query page and trying to apply a Map Series Page Filter to all 50 layers?

Thanks, 

Tom

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

Exactly, in arcmap, we had to activate the page query one by one.  Verry long, where you have between 50 to 100 layers.  I found, in Pro, you can make multiple selection and then activate in batch to choose the field to apply the map series.

Unfortunately, Pro is very slow when working in the TOC.  But, for applying the map series field, it could take long (around 2 hours for one try and, now, my second try still turning around for more than 18 hours without result.

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Marcel, 

I've done some basic testing of applying a page query to multiple layers (with differing schema) and have found that it takes about half a second to update each layer.  I was able to apply a page definition query to 100+ layers. I have not been able to reproduce the issue you describe above.  The issue could be data-related, database-related, or due to some other variable.

Can you contact Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Thanks, 

Tom

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks to have search the problem.  It's very frustrating for now.  Maybe it's because the structure of my project was made via import and mxd project.  

In this project, I have two annotations databases.  One import and updated one generated in pro.  Not one was able to do the page query.  I will report the bugif I can find the way to do it.  The link give me Esri Canada where no report bug is show.  When going to usa, I can't neither.  Why make it so complicated?  Why not put directly in Pro a report bug button?

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

By the way, I check, this morning, the one I was thinking work but, the map layer filter was not activated.

The only thin I can see is that it's look like possible to do batch but or it's not possible or I'm doing that the wrong way.

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Applying the page query to multiple layers should work provided that all the layers share the same field and that this field is a match for the page name of the map series.

For more information see https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/layouts/page-queries.htm.

Tom

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

Exactly that, My page id is for a match on the "Carte" field where my page numbers are so all input point to the same field.  The only thing is one database is for my basemap (lake, road, services, etc with 74 layers)  and the other one is for nautical information with 172 layers.  I do the match for each database independently.


So I'm waiting for my boss to make the change to let me report the bug. May take some time.

0 Kudos