Ownership Layer

05-26-2022 04:58 PM
Labels (2)
Curtiss
New Contributor

Is there a map service I can subscribe to that would give me a land ownership layer in ArcGIS Pro?  Sites like Gaia GPS and OnX include layers for private landownership, which are very useful in the timberland management context (e.g., these are Weyerhaeuser lands, these are FIA lands).  I can sometimes get that information directly from counties, but the layers they provide are very large and cumbersome/slow to navigate.  And not all counties make that information available (though both Gaia and OnX have it).  Is there a map service I can subscribe to that can serve this information to me dynamically?  Happy to pay for it.  And I don't need any warranty of accuracy.

As a fallback, is there a way I can take a layer that is very resource intensive and somehow serve it dynamically myself?  Gaia seems to serve it instantly, whereas navigating those layers on my (relatively new) machine grinds everything to a halt.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It really depends on the particular area in question. I suppose the short, not-very-useful answer to your question is "yes, probably". In many places this kind of information is "public", but not always readily accessible. Or when it is accessible, it has to be cobbled together from multiple sources.

Getting a large, quality layer of ownership can require a bit of work, which is exactly why folks are willing to pay third parties to do all that work and just get access to the resulting data.

Is there a particular state/county you're interested in? I would start with whomever handles property taxes for the area to see if ownership information can be FOIA'd, or if they have any kind of open data.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos