Select to view content in your preferred language

OneDrive & ArcPro

05-09-2018 07:18 AM
JeffreySchmidt3000
New Contributor III

I am trying to find the best directory on my computer to retain ArcPro Projects and am considering my local OneDrive folder.  I want the speed of doing things from my C drive, but the assurance of having things backed up in case my c drive fails.

Since the folder that OneDrive syncs FROM is on my C drive and I presume is always pushing out to the cloud... is this an ideal solution, or is this a bad idea?  If it is bad, is it bad because OneDrive is not set up to do this, ESRI isn't set up to work like that... (thinking about potential locks on open files), etc...

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

Jeff  

11 Replies
ColeAndrews
Occasional Contributor III

I had, what seemed to be a timing issue, with OneDrive. It was with an excel file on OneDrive, making changes and trying to re-import the excel multiple times in a row to capture the updated excel. Pro wasn't recognizing the excel changes (new tabs were being created, tab names changed, field names changed, etc.). 

My assumption is OneDrive was still trying to sync the changes, so Pro was only seeing the older file. But I suppose it could have been a Pro issue unrelated to OneDrive.

Since then, I have gone with using local storage/network shares for storing working data, and OneDrive just holds some static reference data such as Census TIGER files.

0 Kudos
RossMaxwell
New Contributor

Drag & drop didn't work for me, so I just copied the onedrive address into the file location or file name in the "Add Folder Connection" window & hit enter (or "OK" if it wasn't greyed out).

0 Kudos