Select to view content in your preferred language

network analyse, route

09-07-2020 10:07 AM
ErikaSolli1
Emerging Contributor

Melinda Morang‌ Heather Moe's Blog‌ Deelesh Mandloi

I am writing to you because at this moment I am working with ArcPRO  but i need litt help. 

The objective is find out the route of a patient from their home to a hospital. i found a lot of information about network analysis, solving route and all the parameters, restrictions that must be used but i could not find something related to this situation that I am going to explain to you.

For example: Here in Norway there are many ferries and sometimes these ferries go from one island to another, sometimes they go direct and sometimes you have to go from one island to another before arrived another , as in the attached photo. The  route goes direct fra A-B but sometimes have to through A-C-B. This is because the schedules change depending on the day and which ferry is taken. My question is if I want that in ArcGis resolve the real route depending this ferry schedules how i do, which parameters and restricions i have to take? 

. Could you give me an idea. Help please.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

You say that you are using ArcGIS Pro, but you didn't say what kind of network you're using to solve your analysis.  The answer may depend on that.

If you're using the ArcGIS Online services, or a non-editable network dataset, you will need to determine whether the network already includes both ferry lines.  If so, you can probably solve the problem by using barriers to block whichever lines are not running on the day when you are solving the problem, which will force the use of the other line.

If the lines are not included, you will need to build or edit your own network dataset locally to include the ferry lines.  Then you could use the same barrier approach described above.

You can use the true ferry schedules if you can obtain a GTFS dataset that includes the schedules for the ferry. You can set up a network dataset with public transit schedules using the information here: Network analysis using public transit data—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

0 Kudos