Multiple *.arpx in 1 Project Folder

Jump to solution
05-18-2022 11:02 AM
Labels (1)
John_Spence
Occasional Contributor III

Has anyone run into a case where a user had put multiple arpx's into a singular project folder? I really want to persuade them not to do this ever again, but I am not finding any documentation on it. I almost feel like something could go wrong and/or could break something down the road.

What is the best practice?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Should not be a problem if you do not have it create a new folder.  I have several instances of multiple projects in the same folder.

It will create new databases and tool boxes, however you can put the other db's and tb's in the new project.

RobertBorchert_0-1652898155244.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Should not be a problem if you do not have it create a new folder.  I have several instances of multiple projects in the same folder.

It will create new databases and tool boxes, however you can put the other db's and tb's in the new project.

RobertBorchert_0-1652898155244.png

John_Spence

That's what I am seeing too! Just wasn't sure if that was the best practice or not considering the shift to the project folder mentality.

Thanks for the rapid response and reassurance.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

However I do think it is a better practice to have a Main folder.  For example any projects I create of our Telecom department.  I have  Base Telecom Folder on our network drive.  When I start a new project I will put it in the Telecom Folder and then have it create a project folder.  By not creating a project folder, as in the example above, when you go to add data you may see numerous data sources. 

0 Kudos
John_Spence

I couldn't agree with you more on that thought process. Thanks for your insights.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

A few years ago we had things scattered on individual computers  and a network drive.

We created a cache directory on our network with a UNC patch and now ALL projects and mxd's are in that directory. We set up a logical directory structure.  The end result it is significantly easier for any of the GIS people to find something that someone else created.