Microsoft Word documents in ArcGIS Pro

07-12-2016 08:31 AM
JohnDunham
New Contributor II

How are MS-Word documents handled in ArcGIS Pro? I have imported ArcMap mxd's containing inserted Word docs into ArcGIS Pro 1.3, and the inserted documents are missing entirely. I also can't find any way to insert them from scratch in 1.3. Am I missing something? If I can't insert Word docs in Pro, it will cause me major problems, as my maps contain a lot of descriptive text, and I don't want to have to use multiple applications to finish my maps.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

John,

That is tricky. I do not see any documentation on inserting objects into ArcGIS Pro. I am wondering if this has not yet been implemented. Just from blind speculation and reading this bug, it looks like there are several things that are not yet implemented but will be.

Going the other way, there are 'limitations' for exporting certain things out of ArcMap:

Problem: Inserted or pasted Word and Excel objects, documents, and tables do not print or export cor...

I am not sure if this is directly related but it sounds like there is some disconnect between some of these objects and Esri products.

0 Kudos
JohnDunham
New Contributor II

Adrian,

I'm hoping that that is the case with ArcGIS Pro - I know that the software doesn't have full functionality yet. I'm aware of the limitations of exporting objects in ArcMap - I've experimented and learned what to do and what not to do with my Word docs for (generally) successful export as part of an ArcMap PDF or similar document. I just hate to think that I might not be able to use them at all in Pro - that's my big concern.

0 Kudos