Maplex Engine not displaying labels when zoomed out.

03-01-2018 08:04 AM
LesSears
New Contributor II

Maplex engine refuses to display labels on some views using an orthographic projection when zoomed out past a certain point (1:58,157,528 in this case).  In particular this seems to mostly occur with Australia or the Far East as the center of the view. The labels will show once zoomed in a little if I pan the view toward the top of the screen or once I zoom in even more if I do not pan the view at all. If I pan back down without changing the zoom the labels disappear.

• Visibility Range is set to none for both In beyond and Out beyond. 
  • The labels do NOT show as unplaced labels when selecting View Unplaced.
  • Selecting Unplaced labels, Never remove has no effect. 
  • Weights and Priorities are all at the defaults and changing them has no effect at the problem zoom level. 
  • Turning off all other layers also has no effect.
  • The labels immediately display when changing to the Standard labeling engine.

What am I missing?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

If you have something that can be reproduced, if possible create a Project or Map Package of it and send it off to your local ESRI distributor including a bug report.

I have done that myself for a few regressions that occured in Maplex when ESRI made some pretty big changes and added new functionality to Maplex going from ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.2 to 10.3. Since then, the reported issues got fixed (at least finally almost completely in ArcGIS for Desktop 10.6 and Pro 2.1.1).

0 Kudos
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Les,

If possible please attach a simple project (one layer if you can repro that simply) and we'll take a look at it.

thanks

wendy

0 Kudos
LesSears
New Contributor II

Thanks for replying.

I did some clean-up work preparing the project to be a template and since then have not been able to reproduce the behavior.  If it happens again I'll try to boil it down to the simplest scenario and send a project over.

Les

0 Kudos