Map Service into ArcPro2.5, Legend greyed out

07-01-2020 12:52 PM
MichelleWilliams1
Occasional Contributor III

I have a map service that I brought into ArcPro. I removed the title so it wouldn't show in my legend, but I can't delete the STREET NETWORK title nor can I uncheck the Headings or Description in the legend items. Please help.

8 Replies
Taren_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hello,

You can remove/edit individual items by using Convert to Graphics, and then Ungrouping once you are done with any other editing of the legend. The bottom of this documentation (Work with a legend item—Layouts | Documentation) has further details.

The Heading and Description items are greyed out because you do not seem to have any such items. 

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michelle, 

From the screenshot you provided it appears that "STREET NETWORK" is a group within the map service. Groups are a special case in (layout) legends since they do not have symbols, classes, etc... They are really just a label.

In order to remove a group name label from the legend you will need to:

1. Open the properties for the top-most legend item for the group since this is the item that controls the visibility of the group label. In your case this would be "STREETS".

2. Uncheck "Group layer name"

Hope this helps, 

Tom

0 Kudos
MichelleWilliams1

I've been using the Esri tech support and as of July 27th, it's been classified as a BUG.

1. Bug number: BUG-000131306
2. Synopsis: The layer label options in the legend box are not honored for ArcGIS map services in the PDFs exported from ArcGIS Pro.
3. Status: New

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michelle, 

Thanks for pinging me with the bug number.  I think this issue has been resolved (with a different bug) in version 2.6.  I'll confirm this, and if it is indeed the case, close out BUG-000131306.

Thanks, 

Tom

MichelleWilliams1

Hi Tom,

I upgraded to 2.6 in hopes that it was fixed, BUT when I export to a PDF, I can't open the PDF I get an error.

I did export to a jpg, just for fun, and the map service is no longer showing. I think they are closer.

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michelle, 

Sorry you are still running into issues.  I'm not running into export issues testing against the Map Services I have access to and have confirmed that BUG-000131306 has been fixed with the test service provided in the bug.  I also tried with the following Map Service (https://landscape1.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/USA_Roads/MapServer).  I'm able to open the PDF result without error. 

Here is my layout (using version 2.6):

The properties for the legend item (Map Service Sublayer "All roads") - removing the label and description and leaving only the label for the Group layer/Map Service Layer:

Here is the PDF output:

Here is the JPG output:

I did notice an issue where the legend on the layout page would "disappear" sometimes when selecting or unselecting the element.

This bad state did not affect the export result (PDF or JPG). The output displayed the legend correctly.  I'm currently investigating this "bad" state issue.

Perhaps there is something specific with the Map Service you are using?  IS this a public service that I might have access to?

Tom

0 Kudos
MichelleWilliams1

Thanks for your help, the service I'm using is not public, but you've given me another troubleshooting option. Thank you for the time you put into this project, I appreciate it.

I will share your findings with the Esri team on my case.

0 Kudos
MichelleWilliams1

The PDF issue resolved by creating a new project, with a clean layout. The map service is still printing in 2.6, and I'm working with Esri's tech support for an answer.

Here's what I sent Esri this morning;

1. When a map service is included, the map service symbology prints on the PDF legend every time.
  2. The workaround is to make the legend static and add a white box over the map service symbology. (This is not a long term solution)
  3. Troubleshooting: (As of this morning PDFs open)
    1. New Project, Added 2 FC and a Map Service
    2. Added a standard layout, and added a map frame, and legend
    3. Removed the checks from Map Service in the legend
    4. Share, Print Layout, Adobe PDF (No Map Series)
      1. PDF works, but Map Service still showing up.
    5. Share, Print Layout, Adobe PDF (WITH Map Series)
    6. Export Layout  PDF (No Map Series)
    7. Export layout PDF (WITH Map Series)
    8. Export JPG (No Map Series)
      1. JPG works, but Map Service is still showing up.
    9. Export JPG (WITH Map Series)
      1. JPG only does the first page, and Map Service is still showing up.
  4. A community member on GeoNet said the issue does not reproduce when using a public map service 
    1. I’ve added my GeoNet URL to see the other user’s comments.
    2. https://community.esri.com/thread/255946-map-service-into-arcpro25-legend-greyed-out
0 Kudos