Lost access to help system, ArcMap, 10.5

Jump to solution
10-12-2018 08:53 PM
FelixPertziger
New Contributor III

Today I found that I can't access help on any system tool when I click <Tool Help> button. It says (see attachment):

Can’t reach this page

Make sure the web address //ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff.htm# is correct
Search for this site on Bing
Refresh the page

I afraid it is Windows 10 October update in action.

Anybody, who knows how to fix this, please! Last thing I want is profile re-build.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisRingo
Occasional Contributor

I realize this is somewhat old at this point, but wanted to report that the Microsoft update noted in this article fixed this problem for me: Bug: The error message, "Can't reach this page" is returned when launching help (See Update 1/25/2019 at the bottom of the page)

View solution in original post

30 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Understandable if you want to use the builtin help, but if you do have internet access, you can use

Get started with ArcMap—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Rather than delete your profile, just rename it, it will create a new profile.  test to see you regain access and if not, just rename it back and try a 'repair' installation from windows Add/Remove programs.

FelixPertziger
New Contributor III

Dan, thanks for reply.

Going through WEB help is a solution but bulky. Click WEB help,  search for tool and it will take you to Pro page.

I afraid to lose customization when mucking around with profile and it's been a long time since I was forced to do so. What is good recourse/workflow on profile change? Many thanks.  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Felix Curtis Price keeps a pretty updated blog on the process

Resetting your ArcGIS application profile 

you might want to try the 'Repair' option first to see if you can repair the install incase something got clunked.  You access it through Add/Remove Programs in control panel... just to the repair of course and not the uninstall/remove

FelixPertziger
New Contributor III

Neither profile reset or repair installation worked. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Tech Support would be next then

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I think, that local help is a separate download... maybe check your downloads on My Esri to see if reinstalling it will help

0 Kudos
FelixPertziger
New Contributor III

I can't find separate download for help. Moreover it doesn't look like isolated incident based on response to my post here. Too bad, this thing was working few days ago.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is Pro that has local help if you want to install it.

Tech support it is, I don't see any reported bugs on the Support Site, so it might be new if a 'repair' doesn't fix it

Download and install—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos