Select to view content in your preferred language

LIDAR DATA

12-21-2016 02:08 AM
PaulCreaton
New Contributor II

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have received some LAS files which I am able to bring into arcgis pro. I have generated a stats text file for the dataset in ArcGIS Pro but while it gives me info on the types of return etc, it gives no information on the point density of the las files. Is this information available? Also do I need to save it as a text file in order to view it?  I have done the same process using Arcmap and was able to get basic information on the las dataset such as point spacing simply by calculating the statistics. I have attached a copy of the stats file I generated.

Many thanks in advance

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

equivalency in functionality has been promised in PRO 1.4, in the interim, you will have to continue to use both platforms should you not find the equivalents in pro... I assume you began your search here Geoprocessing and LAS datasets—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
PaulCreaton
New Contributor II

OK. Many thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
ArthurCrawford
Esri Contributor

Hi Paul,

You can, for now, click on the Analysis Tab, click on Python window and put the following line in.

arcpy.Describe('lasdataset.lasd').pointSpacing

It should give you an output like:

Thanks to Joseph McGlinchy  (Esri), 

I'll let you know if I hear of another way,

Arthur Crawford - Esri

0 Kudos
ArthurCrawford
Esri Contributor

Hi Paul,

You can also get the point spacing for individual LAS files within a LAS dataset in Pro 1.4 at a file level using Identify.  In Map View, zoom out such that the file extents draw, then the Identify reports: 

Thanks to Clayton (Esri),

Arthur Crawford - Esri