Legends 'Only show features visible in extent'

12-26-2019 02:23 PM
BrianBrokling1
New Contributor

I have several layers in a map series, one thing that I have been having problems with is the 'Only show features visible in the map extent' legend option. If a feature happens to not be visible, it is removed from the legend.  However if an entire layer is not visible it is still removed from the legend, but extra white space is added to the legend where there should be nothing.  How can I fix this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian, 

I'm unaware of any "extra white space" problem with dynamic legends. Could you provide a screenshot of what your seeing?  It would also be useful to know the properties of your legend.

Thanks, 

Tom

0 Kudos
BrianBrokling1
New Contributor

Here is an example of the problem, I turned on some guides so that you can see the difference in distance between the items. The first screenshot shows what it looks like if I turn off the layer in the legend that would go between these two legend items. The second is a screen shot with that layer turned on in the legend, about a .06 inch difference. I have seen legends behave this way on multiple projects, so I do not think this is limited to one map, any suggestions would be appreciated.

The settings for my legend look like this.

[cid:image004.jpg@01D5BC99.13DC98E0]

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Brian, 

Thanks for the screenshots.  I see that your legend has the fitting strategy "Adjust columns and font size" and word wrapping for labels checked on. When legend items are added/removed with these properties enabled it is likely that the font size will change as the legend tries ton fit all the items within the legend extent (box) initially created when the legend was inserted on the page. I suspect that this is the reason you are seeing a slight change.

Try changing the fitting strategy to one where the font size is constant (ex: Adjust columns). 

Hope this helps, 

Tom

0 Kudos