Legend - Only show features in current extent

Jump to solution
11-04-2014 07:44 AM
JoshuaYoung
New Contributor III

I imported a MXD into an ArcGIS Pro project and everything came over including the legend. However, the legend now shows all the features in the map. There are too many features in the map to show them all in the legend at one time, which is why I am trying to find the setting to only show the features in the current extent. I cannot find this setting, did it make it into ArcGIS Pro?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

Soryy, Joshua, not in the first release of ArcGIS Pro.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
DavidBarnes

Soryy, Joshua, not in the first release of ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-I8dUNT25aY9R
New Contributor II

Do either of you know if this has been included in the updates to Pro to date?

0 Kudos
JoshuaYoung
New Contributor III

As of ArcGIS Pro 1.3.1, it has NOT been included. I hear Pro 1.4 is supposed to be released this month and that will be one of the first things I look for. I will let you know if I find it or not.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

This functionality really needs to be added to Pro (besides many other tools) in order for older established organizations to move from Desktop to Pro.  Hopefully this will be the case with Pro 1.4.

In terms of the Legend and Symbology, it appears that Pro does not provide the enduser the ability to get the Count of features that would have unique symbology with Symbology set to a Renderer such as Categories--Unique Values.  This is a useful feature in Desktop that I am constantly using.  Does anyone know if this is available in Pro, but needs to be configured somewhere in the application?

0 Kudos
JoshuaYoung
New Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro 1.4 is out now and it includes dynamic legends and feature counts. Hooray!

Here's how to get to the settings:

1. Open a layout in ArcGIS Pro
  2. Expand the legend element in the Contents pane
  3. Right-click a layer in the legend element
  4. Left-click Properties
  5. You will find the new options under Feature Display Options in the Format Legend Item pane
deleted-user-I8dUNT25aY9R
New Contributor II

Fantastic! Thanks for letting me know

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm using the  "Only show features visible in the map extent" feature however, the legend is not rendering all the features actually displayed within the extent. The legend should consist of 3 line types, 1 polygon type, and 5 point types and only 2 legend items are illustrated - 1 point type and the polygon.

There are no def queries and all map elements appear on the map. 

Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
LeaDyrholm_Hansen1
New Contributor II

I would like to only show features in the legend that is visible in the map extent. However, I see all my layers in the legend when I have a group layer in the map. Does ArcGIS Pro not support this?

I need to have group layer because the layout is a part of a printing web tool that will be used for printing several different maps. 

0 Kudos
MervynLotter

It is possible. You need to right-click on lend and select properties. 

Then under the Format Legend Pane, select Show Properties under Legend Items.

Then select to Only show features visible in map extent.