Join data from another layer based on spatial location

01-17-2017 07:16 AM
deleted-user-r12oOPKQjs2J
New Contributor III

In ArcMap, there was this very useful join based on spatial location.

This enable you to count how many entities, e.g. buildings within each polygon of your input polygon layer, e.g. city boundaries. So you could know how many buildings there were in each city.

I can't find any functionality in Pro enabling one to do this.

Am I missing something ???

3 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Aren't you just doing a spatial join but through the Join Data dialog box?  In ArcGIS Pro, you can Join data by location (spatially) using the Spatial Join geoprocessing tool.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Timothee:

What version of Pro are you using?  At 1.4 you can create a spatial join by right-clicking on the layer in the table of contents (TOC) and selecting Joins and Relates->Spatial Join which opens the Spatial Join geoprocessing tool so you can change the parameters to meet your specific needs.  Is this functionality not available in the Pro version that you are using?

deleted-user-r12oOPKQjs2J
New Contributor III

Thanks to both of you.

I had tried the spatial join but I was using the Join Operation "Join one to many" instead of "Join one to one". Still now, I'm not clear why it's "Join one to one" that should be used but it works.

The result give a field called Join_Count which counts the number of entities spatially joined.

0 Kudos