Issue with Circular Map Grid Labeling in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
01-01-2024 09:26 PM
Golder_curtin
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm currently encountering an issue with labelling the grid on a circular map frame in ArcGIS Pro. Specifically, when I add labels, it only displays the outer labelling of the map grid. The problem arises when I attempt to include interior labels; it shows the interior labels both for latitude (expected) and the longitude labels which are already designated in the "Labels" option. What I'm aiming for is to apply latitude labels exclusively for interior labels.

Please refer to the attached figure to better understand the situation. I'm seeking assistance on how to remove the labelled position highlighted in the red circle.

Golder_curtin_0-1704173050704.png

Any insights or solutions to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RonaldHaug
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Golder,

Check out this help article: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/3.1/help/layouts/add-and-modify-graticules.htm#ESRI_SECTION2_2611E...

Go to the section on "Interior labels" and follow the directions in steps 1 and 2.

I recommend you change your longitude to 0 (as in zero for no intervals).

See if this works and let us know you got it solved.

Sometimes labeling can be a real bugaboo... Worst case scenario: manual labeling with graphics or annotation.

PS - What's your datum and projection for this map?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RonaldHaug

Hi Golder,

Check out this help article: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/3.1/help/layouts/add-and-modify-graticules.htm#ESRI_SECTION2_2611E...

Go to the section on "Interior labels" and follow the directions in steps 1 and 2.

I recommend you change your longitude to 0 (as in zero for no intervals).

See if this works and let us know you got it solved.

Sometimes labeling can be a real bugaboo... Worst case scenario: manual labeling with graphics or annotation.

PS - What's your datum and projection for this map?

Golder_curtin
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply. The projection is south pole stereographic. Longitude 0 shows a warning that the grid interval is too small to draw correctly.  in the Offset (unchecked) under 'options' menu works well for me although it creates an additional 0 degree inside the map. See attached...

Golder_curtin_0-1704176082169.png

0 Kudos
RonaldHaug

Hi Golder,

On your ""Interior Labels" setting can you leave Longitude blank, as in no value instead of 180*?

That might solve your problem.

RSVP - Thanks!

RonaldHaug_0-1704224194819.png

0 Kudos
RonaldHaug

Hi Golder,

Ok, mea culpa. I tried that and it didn't work. I'm sorry. 

I did find something, as in "Map, add data. arcgis online, antarctic graticule" which could take the place of your Black Horizontal Label Graticule.  Here's what it looks like with firefly gridlines:

RonaldHaug_0-1704255799904.png

RonaldHaug_1-1704256345146.png

Hope this gets you where you want to be.

0 Kudos